Past to Present Genealogy: Providing a high-quality family history research service for every client, with honesty, integrity and professionalism at the heart of each piece of work.
I am a professional family history researcher based in West Yorkshire. My fascination for history is lifelong. After leaving school I studied Modern History at Liverpool University, graduating with a BA (Hons). I have been researching my own family history since 2005. This includes formal learning and professional development.
In 2016 I completed the Family History Skills and Strategies (Intermediate) Certificate Course, jointly awarded Pharos Tutors and the Society of Genealogists, passing with a distinction. With an average of 90% I received the highest overall mark of students graduating that year. I am now in my second year of the Family History Skills and Strategies (Advanced) Distance Learning Course. In September 2017 I became an AGRA Associate (Association of Genealogists and Researchers in Archives).
In 2017, after undertaking family history work for others, I decided to end my civil service career to concentrate full time on research.
I specialise in the following areas of work:
- West Riding and wider Yorkshire family and local history research from individual document look-ups for those who live too far away, to brick walls, advice and next steps. This includes visits to archives in the wider Yorkshire area, and local history libraries in the West Riding. I am able to cover, for example, the following repositories:
⇒ Borthwick Institute;
⇒ East Riding Archives;
⇒ Explore York Libraries and Archives;
⇒ Hull History Centre;
⇒ North Yorkshire County Record Office;
⇒ South Yorkshire Archives, including Sheffield, Doncaster, Barnsley and Rotherham;
⇒ West Yorkshire Archives Services (all five sites);
⇒ Heritage Quay – University of Huddersfield Archives;
⇒ Leeds University Library Special Collections;
⇒ The British Library, Boston Spa;
⇒ Bradford Local Studies Library;
⇒ Huddersfield Local Studies Library;
⇒ Leeds Local and Family History Library;
⇒ Libraries within the Kirklees and Leeds Council areas;
⇒ Regimental Museums within the Yorkshire area;
- Northern Union/Rugby League ancestors;
- First World War research, including suggested personal pilgrimage itineraries for those wanting to follow the footsteps of their Western Front ancestors;
- Irish immigration to the West Riding;
- Photographs of places within the West Riding of Yorkshire associated with your family history – for example cemetery headstones, schools, houses and workplaces;
- Review of work already conducted by clients, with gaps identified and next steps suggested;
- 1:1 mentoring for those embarking on their family history journey who wish to do their own research, but require guidance to set them off on the right direction.
- Free initial 30-minute consultation;
- Hourly research rate, applying to research, report-writing and mentoring services: £22.50. This will increase to £25 per hour for commissions from 1 February 2019;
- Quotations of £100 or below are to be paid in full before research commences; above £100, a 50% deposit is required. Payments are to be made in pounds sterling via cheque (UK customers only, and cleared before work commences), bank transfer or PayPal. Final payment must be received before the report is sent;
- Expenses such as General Register Office certificates, wills, copies of parish register entries etc. are charged at cost price. Wills and certificates must be paid for in advance or ordering.
- Where archives charge fees for visits or passes, these are charged at cost price;
- Reports and results are sent via email; if clients require hard copies these will be charged at cost, including postage.
- Specialist stationery such as family tree charts etc charged at cost;
- Travel costs to Record Offices, Archives, cemeteries and other associated family locations are charged at current HMRC mileage rate (45p per mile). Parking fees, where applicable, will be charged at cost.
At all cost-incurring stages I will consult with you, the client, before undertaking work. Neither will I exceed the number of hours commissioned without agreement. This means you are in control of the costs and there will be no unwelcome payment surprises.
At the end of my research I will produce a full, accurate, clear and concise report. This will identify search parameters, documents examined (including full source citations), explanation of these sources and documents, analysis, outcomes and next steps. This will be issued on receipt of final payment.
Please be aware that family history research is not guaranteed to find that illusive ancestor. But in these cases, the research undertaken will rule out documents and lines of enquiry which in itself can be a positive.
Congratulations on an excellent piece of research. It all fits perfectly. I will no doubt read and re read your research several times before it all sinks in. There is a lot of other family information in there. I am sure I will come back to you to do more research as all my brick walls are in Yorkshire.
Thank you so much for your work. We were really impressed with the amount of research you did in such a short time…..If you are happy to continue on research I would like that.
I cannot believe my luck that I met Jane of Past to Present Genealogy. My sisters in law and I had been aimlessly trying for years to even think about how to start tracing my mother in law’s best friend ……Jane managed to trace the family and indeed my mother in law’s friend. They are both eighty eight now so we feel very lucky that that they are both still in good health and have time to pick up their friendship where they left off 50 years ago. They’ve already written to each other and now they’ve spoken to each other and are arranging to meet! We could not have believed all this would be possible and indeed it wouldn’t have been without Jane and Past to Present Genealogy.
I would strongly recommend Jane to everyone and to anyone who has been wanting to get in touch with someone for themselves or someone they know and love get in contact now as it really can be a reality. She’s granted my mother in law a miracle and we are so very grateful and she is really so lovely to work with. THANK YOU JANE.
Thank you so much. I cannot believe the amount of information you have discovered….. I have just skimmed though the report and am thrilled. I am sure X will be delighted to read it all.
For more information about me see my About page.
I can be contacted at: email@example.com
I believe every family has a story to tell. Let me help you discover your family history story.